Whoosh! It’s the first Wednesday of the month and time for another #BeautifiedWomanOfTheMonth series. We have featured three exceptional women already but this month, our Beautified Woman took things to a whole new level. Her answers to the questions were spot on, we didn’t want the interview to end.
Are you ready to learn valuable lessons from Dolapo?
Here we go
- Hello Dolapo how are you doing?
I’m great, thank you.
- You are a filmmaker, producer, editor screen writer and entrepreneur? How do you juggle all these brilliantly?
First of, I’m a creative entrepreneur well in the production aspects, and so all these things you mentioned, I do them under the scope of my production company Doreen Media Africa. To be honest, it’s simply the grace of God. It can’t be anything else. Even I ask myself the same question sometimes when I sit back. There is definitely an oil of grace over my life which I do not and will never take for granted. Like I’m so happy doing all those roles, I don’t even see it as work. Its crazy!
- We know that about 9 years ago, you were involved in an accident that changed the course of your life forever; can you tell us what your biggest fear was at that time and how you overcame it?
My biggest fear would be I thought my dreams were over. I wanted to be a popular presenter and philanthropist. Like I was a huge fan of Oprah for a while and I just thought I would one day host the biggest show in Africa and then this accident came and affected only my face, like not even a scratch on my neck. The way God just re-positioned my mind, my dreams- now I look back and I’m like you are definitely the master planner! I totally prefer God’s plan to mine. Mine was very small and self centered, compared to the things God is going to do through me. And it was in my pain I found purpose. It was a very painful way of finding God’s purpose for my life. The passion for being in front of TV is so dead like I can’t even imagine. But the passion I have for building by God’s grace one of Africa’s biggest Production empires and philanthropic activities-I can die for it. Literally.
- Your definition of beauty must have changed after the accident would you please share it with us?
It didn’t change funny enough. Beauty is how you see yourself. Beauty is very perspective in nature. But it surely does radiate from within.
- You shared your story last year and you mentioned giving a speech in the university about why you had scars on your face. Where did you get the confidence to share your story?
Me I just wanted people to stop asking me questions so i can have a good time at school. That was my motive and it worked perfectly.
- Did you ever ask God ‘why me,’ did you get answers?
Why me is a question I asked over and over. But now I know why me…hehe! The world will definitely know. #Prouding
- In an interview you said motivation cannot always talk someone out of pain so what can we do to help people around us going through one kind of pain or the other?
Sometimes just be quiet and let your presence alone speak. Don’t try to ‘put yourself in someone’s shoes’ cos really that can’t ever happen except you go out there ram your car into a cement and have scars. Then I’ll know you know what it feels like. Just be there for the person. Just be there. It’s not always by words.
- Fit fam aside, what food can you eat all day?
Chai, sea food!!! sucker for it. Prawns are my jam lol!
- You desperately wanted to get rid of all the scars but you couldn’t. What’s your advice to people who have scars that can’t be removed and feel like their beauty has been altered?
Yes I wanted to but that was when I was younger and still somewhat vain, and short sighted. You grow older, you are wiser and you realize beauty is like one of the least things in this life. There are other challenges way bigger than how you look. Won’t you still age? Remove your focus from beauty. Dress well and all but let that not be the focus. See the world, your world through God’s eyes and you will no that scars are too small to alter beauty. Beauty is more than the facial. It’s everything, your personality, your work, family etc.
- Were you afraid to open up to love because of your scars?
Lol. Never. Girl, I even had the pleasure of choosing between hot men. I chose the very best.
- Please tell us why.
I saw and see myself as still beautiful that’s why. How you view yourself is a magnetic force.
- What super power would you love to have and why?
I’d love to know tomorrow. Literally even when I’m watching movies i hate suspense. I will watch the end first then it will give me motivation to watch the whole thing! Super weird right?
- You are an advocate for nurturing potentials and goals what have you done in the past 3 months to improve your abilities or learn a new skill?
Research research research. I research and study people a whole lot. I take on projects that aren’t within my comfort zone, so it stretches me.
- Inner scars are usually he toughest to fight. How are you dealing with this?
Dealing??? Girl I’m past all this accident o!
- You had friends and family support you all the while, what’s your advice to people who do not have such a support system?
They don’t support me because I was involved in an accident. here is no pity party. They’ve always been a support system before the accident and will forever be.
- Please complete this statement. One day Dolapo’s movies will … cause a movement, touch lives, families, inspire and makes billions of people happy. My movies are all about the very personal touch.
- What has been the place of God in your recovery?
- What would you consider as your biggest achievement yet?
Registering my company in 2011 and churned out celebrated works so far.
- You know firsthand what it feels like to have crushed dreams, what can you say to somebody who is handling a tough blow and seems like all hope is lost?
Crush is a strong word. First of, if your dream is crushed then it’s your dream. Find out your God-given dream. No devil, above or below the waters can crush. Mark my word on that.
Now how intense was that interview? We can’t get over her last answer. Nothing can crush your dream, well except you allow it.
Now one thing you have to learn from this is that God’s plan is different from yours. Yes you have your dreams, and goals but God has his way. Nothing he does is a mistake and if you are going through a rough patch know that He knows, He’s there and He has it all figured out. Everything will make sense.