If I’m being honest, I have certainly not been spending real quality time with God as much as God would have me or as much as I should. And my smart phone with Instagram, Twitter and Facebook doesn’t even help matters. I wake up in the morning (after waking up several times during the night to feed Gbolabo) and the first thing my brain is wired to do is pick up my phone and go through Instagram.
Even when I open the Bible app on my phone to read, it is so easy to screenshot a Bible verse for my followers to see than to actually spend at least thirty minutes really reading the Bible and becoming a more effective follower of Jesus.
As a Christian, I am called to remain and abide in Jesus because it’s only when I remain and abide in Him that I would bear fruits (John 15:4); and the way I remain in Him is by spending time with His Word. The Bible is not something I can just scroll through, double tap and repost my favorite parts. It’s something I must read, study, meditate on and then let change my life.
With my phone always with me, it’s easy to view the Word of God as something to fit into a tweet or something to screenshot and post on Instagram. Somehow, I have shifted from reading the Bible for my spiritual growth to reading short Bible verses in 140 characters or opinions shared by others on social media. Hmmn! My smartphone is making a foolish Christian out of me.
The Holy Spirit helped me to see that this is one major tool the enemy is using to keep Christians from studying the Word and spending time with God because he knows that a Christian who is grounded in the word is a Christian he cannot mess with. If we must grow spiritually as Christians, then we cannot allow our phones and social media take the priority when it comes to spending quality time with God in our quiet time.
So if you’re like me, I’m sure you’re asking already “How do I overcome this?”
These are a few tips that have helped me:
- I decided to be INTENTIONAL about my quiet time. You have to be intentional about spending time with God because if you’re not intentional about it, you won’t create the time for it.
- I consciously try not to pick up my phone first thing when I wake up. If I pick it up to check the time, I drop it back immediately.
- I use my HARDCOPY Bible for my quiet time instead of the Bible App on my phone. This really helps to take away the distractions of social media so I can really focus on reading and studying.
- I journal my thoughts, prayers or reflections. This helps me to feel like I’m actually having a conversation with God and also helps keep track of the things God is doing in my life so I can always look back and see How He has been faithful.
- I find a verse to meditate on through the day so even after my quiet time and I get into the busy-ness of the day I’m constantly thinking about that verse. This helps me to fill my mind with God-consciousness.
Let’s not let the devil use our smart phones to turn us into foolish Christians who don’t understand the power they carry because they do not have the time to abide in the Word.
Funto Ibuoye- I’m just a small girl helped by a big God!