You know those habits that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. It could be watching TV, reading a book or eating chocolate. Well, mine was clothes shopping not window shopping. This was a serious case of “here is my card, gimme my dress kinda shopping”.
You see, I had always suspected that I had this habit when I got a little shopping money and I would hop from one store till the next until I spent it all.
Every time I had extra money, it just happened that I needed clothes. You see, I had always thought this ‘feel good‘ habit was for the exclusive preserve of the rich folks or those on reality shows who will confess that they are addicted to shopping.
That was until the day I spent an inane amount of money on the spot shopping.
I believed I was really hungry when I was spending. You know hunger makes you do some very silly things. By the time the bank alert popped in, I was sober for days and lost my voice I could only do silent screams. I realized this habit was more than feel good. It was doing me strong thing and I had to take action before it got any worse.
Here are a few things I did.
• I learnt to say NO. You see I had several customers who will bring their clothes consignments and call me that their containers have landed. I had to tell them No in various ways till they got the message that things are different now. They even offered to bring the clothes to me since I would not come over but my NO saw me through this temptation.
• I moved shopping to the bottom of my recurrent budget and allocated an annoyingly small amount that was liable to discourage me.
• I allocated my shopping freedom to certain times of the year with specific amount money still attached. I saved up my freedom money separate from my main savings so that I can spend without my conscience haunting me.
• I requested that my husband accompany me to help as an accountability partner and personal shopper because he has an eye for quality things.
• I ensured I had some sizable change from my freedom money so I could add it to my main savings.
• I reorganized my wardrobe according to types and colour schemes. Imagine my surprise when I saw few clothes I had not really worn.
After I discharged myself from rehab, I have not attended any shopping anonymous meetings and I stick to my action plan .
Now I know you may be nursing a feel good habit like a chilled bottle of Coca-Cola but it is totally hurting your pockets. Set yourself free today.